Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Using Reading Interest Inventories to Foster Reading

Many books, and authors, mention using an interest inventory to assist us with this process.  In the past, I have used inventories to collect data and information on my students, but it was not until recently that I figured out exactly how to utilize these inventories to truly promote reading throughout the school year in my classroom.

At the start of the school, my students all created a personalized book cover (see image below).  The students decorated the cover of the book with various authors, books and illustrations that represent their “HISTORY” as a reader and their passions towards reading.  Inside the book cover the students completed a reading interest inventory.

Once the personalized book covers were complete I then used the covers as a catalyst for discussion at our first individualized reading conference.  I took notes, asked questions and listened.  I was also able to immediately visit our classroom library with them to recommend a variety of books they may be interested in reading throughout the school year based off of what I learned.  It was really a powerful and IMPORTANT conference.  Following the conference, I placed their book cover into a plastic sleeve to keep in my data binder for the year in order to refer to when applicable.

Using the inventories in a more purposeful, and long term, manner has truly helped me get to know my students so that I am able more able to promote reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment