Sunday, January 1, 2012

City of Ember

As a reading teacher, I am constantly searching for fantastic read aloud books. So, this past summer, my goal was to read, read and read some more in order to select the most optimal books for read alouds throughout the school year. One of my favorite new additions to my read aloud collection is without a doubt, City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau.


This science fiction book truly captured the attention of my readers. It is a perfect science fiction book for fifth grade.  Many fifth graders are very interested in reading science fiction, but often struggle breaking into this genre of literature.  The storyline in City of Ember grabs their interest and makes them THINK as the mystery of Ember unfolds.

Also, this book is the first book in a series entitled, "The Books of Ember". Another GREAT reason why this book makes a perfect read aloud. MANY of my students are looking forward to reading the series. Hooray! I can't wait to talk to my young readers about this series as they read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment